Sunday, August 8, 2010

Promises Kept



I take the kids to the zoo as often as possible, which usually ends up being at least 1x/month. Problem: there is a train and a carousel and I can't do those things by myself. Even when we're with friends (which we usually are), they're usually needing to practice injury prevention with their own kids and aren't available to help - as much as they'd like. Every time we go I promise, promise, promise that John will come with us sometime and THEN we can do all the "fun stuff".

Finally, finally we had a free morning this past weekend. It was a last-second decision and we impressed ourselves with mobilizing in less than 15 minutes. It's unbelievable how quickly my kids can move when told they're going somewhere fun.

3 Notes:

1. I can't believe we didn't get any other pictures. The kids were beside themselves to FINALLY ride the train and carousel and were so good. So very, very patient and sweet. And so excited to be there with their Dad. He doesn't get to do the fun stuff very often.

2. I forget that people actually come to our town to vacation. I get used to visiting in the fall and winter months, when we practically have the entire place to ourselves and I can let the kids run wild-ish. The place was packed this weekend and, to be honest, I got a little indignant. I mean, this is MY zoo. Who ARE all these people?!?!!

3. Shout-out to War Eagle Family - the kids were dressed in their gear which elicited a friendly "Roll Tide!" from some other visitors. After a laugh from us and a "Please, you have got to be kidding, it's War Eagle all day, people!", and a word of explanation why our 4 children are decked out when the parental units have never stepped foot on Auburn grounds, we had a friendly conversation with the Bama folk who actually like Coach Chizik and what he wants from the team. Someday we'll get to a game...

No comments: