Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It Wasn't About The Race

I just realized I never documented the 1/2 I did way back in February.  It was awesome.  And difficult.

Let's start with difficult.  An injury prevented me from finishing any sort of training schedule, and the longest run I managed before the race was a 7-miler.  I really wasn't all that worried about it because I figured I could run that far on race day and then really, what's another 6.1 miles?  I had already resigned myself to not meeting any goals, so my plan was to run as long as I could and then figure out how to finish the silly thing without looking too ridiculous...but willing to look ridiculous if something super-cool happened like one of the Disney workers (or even better - a Disney Character!) took pity on me and I got some sort of magical assistance as only Disney can provide. Glass carriage? Pixie dust?

So I ran the whole thing and it wasn't that easy, but was terribly impressed with myself for finishing with a respectable time.

And awesome?  Yes Ma'am!!!  I was at Disney World, for crying out loud! Running a Princess 1/2 marathon with 20,000 other people, 16,000 of which were women, most of whom were dressed up to some degree in tutus and tiaras.  Because why the frick wouldn't one dress up?  Ugh.  All I could manage was a pink top and a huge pink bow in my hair. Not enough, folks and next time I'll be one of the crazies because they had the most fun.

But the best part could have been predicted if I hadn't been so egocentric leading up to the weekend.  You see, the only reason why I was even doing something like this was because a dear friend asked me to celebrate a big birthday with her and because her impact on my little world was so profound I said yes.  I said yes, even though of the 17 women who met up for Debbie's Birthday Bash, I only knew four of them and that included the hostess.  But when the hostess is a woman of great faith who has gathered other women from all chapters of her incredible life, the results are astounding and I should have known it would be that way.  Every Friend Of Debbie was universally and uniquely of unbelievable character and talent and depth and it was humbling and an honor to meet them.

Therefore, it was also an ginormous kick in the tuckus that I need to step out of the bubble I have inadvertently created and try to think beyond myself every once-in-awhile.  Granted, it's hard to live outside of the moment around here with my five wee ones running amok, but there is a lot of hurt and need beyond the boundary of my yard and an effort should be made. 

So there.  I expect everyone who knows me in real life to challenge me a little on this.  Just a little, though.

Happy Birthday, Debbie.  Thank you for inviting me to your party.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj9IRceHS9pMRSnA8kFce9JeNDmdLxLowRX6bfScTu_SVzDyrUQIv6fsrPwFeDeG-bsIFUqtm_VxHZkKU1pyhmpkCu-lvjgnb2erICkLgDh_cmavx6dkGVe77qTrZqA6L3UJD8nLkluCeY/s1600/IMG_0239.JPG
Debbie's Princesses.  She's the one with the 13.1 sign.


No comments: