Sunday, August 23, 2009

Run Away!

I was able to escape a couple weekends ago and it was so, so wonderful. Why was it wonderful?
1. I had no responsibilities.
2. I slept for 8 consecutive hours for the first time in one year.*
3. We did absolutely nothing except talk and talk and talk.

There were four of us girls and they were the kinds of friends who don't require a lot of effort to maintain. We are women who, because of work and family, sometimes have to go weeks or longer without really checking in with each other and yet, when an opportunity does pop up, we fearlessly jump right in the deep end. There isn't a lot of paddling around the shallow waters with these ladies and I appreciate that beyond measure.

So what did I learn?
1. I move too quickly. I did not realize how I speed walk through Life until I stepped away from it and I hope my kids don't have a memory of a mom who races frantically around, hurrying everyone along.
2. I need to sleep more. After one full night's sleep I was HYPER. Think of how much energy I would have and therefore how much stuff I can get done if I got 7 or 8 hours/night? Oh. Wait. See #1.
3. Evidently I need to drive more slowly. This is here say from John, so...Sabrina we need to talk about this because I was going to offer the car again next year. And there will be a next year.
4. Time with friends (sans children) is critically necessary for my emotional health. My spiritual well runs dry a lot and it was overflowing after just a few hours of conversation with people who know me and still love me.

Thank you, Rachael, Sabrina, and Abi, for running away with me. Thank you for listening to my oft-times ridiculous opinions and letting them slide. Thank you for not judging me. Thank you for the wise counsel. And thank you for your compassion and empathy.

John, thank you for taking care of the Monkey House for the weekend. You are amazing.

Susie, Joan, Maggie, and Mom and Dad - thank you for helping out so I could come back to a peaceful home on Sunday.

*The kids sleep through the night; I just usually get 6 hours, which is not enough. Sorry this was confusing.

No comments: