Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I can't think of an interesting title for this post...

I was driving somewhere today (I actually can't remember where right now - how pathetic) and had a hopeful glimpse of what the future will look like for Chez Laird: the local high school girls' cross country team was on a training run and it was a short stride to envision one (or all 4 - dare I dream?) of my kidlets joyfully bounding along with teammates every day after school.


The high school our kids will attend has a great cc tradition and, while I know I can't make any of the crumbgobblers run, I have hope that one of them will. Please, oh, please. There's something magical about watching 100+ athletes, toes on the start line, anxiously waiting for the gun. It's silent. The trees are changing colors. The temperature is in that perfect range that allows for a long-sleeved t-shirt and shorts. Sometimes it's raining and that's even better.

Anyway, I was driving and saw the 30+ members of the girls' team, all chatting to each other on their 5-mile run, having the best time together, and I hope someone else in my family gets to experience that.

No comments: