Wednesday, February 18, 2009

RSV

I just found out about a baby of some acquaintances who is currently hospitalized with RSV. I can't imagine what the parents are going through and pray their child recovers quickly and without permanent lung damage.

We got some flack from people-who-will-remain-nameless about keeping our babies crazy-isolated the first few months. It was frustrating and maddening and discouraging, but I still don't care that they thought we were hyper-protective. We were very, very fortunate to have a doctor who went to bat with the insurance company to get the kidlets qualified for the Synagis shots and to have most friends and family at least fake understanding our 4 months of quarantine. We had a circle of about 10 people who were allowed to hold our kids and I am forever thankful for them.

So, word to the wise: do not give your friends or relatives grief if they're freaking out about RSV. Do not make them feel guilty. Do not question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the parent of the RSV baby who was hospitalized, I thought twice about the original doctor's visit and eventual rush to the ER...I didn't want to be "one of those parents". But I am so thankful that I reacted to my gut feeling...it probably saved Luke's life. So, for our next baby, I will be following your 4-month quarantine rule!

Cindy said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

I made your blog. I'm famous!!!!!!!!!!