Sunday, May 10, 2009

Triplet Logistics - Back Together Again

When Gracie was about 7 months old, we had to move her out of the room she shared with Johnny and Lizzy. She refused to sleep in her bed, crying and waking up the other two, and the only way we could get her to the Land of Nod was to put her in a swing. Now, all of you experienced moms out there know it is a terrible idea to let a kid sleep in a swing. It is not a deep sleep and eventually they get too wiggly or big for one and have to get used to a bed anyway. I knew this, but was so desperate to visit that elusive REM sleep that I did not care. I started caring when she eventually decided the swing wasn't good enough and wanted me to hold her. I love, love, love cuddling with my kids, but I needed sleep and one night I had enough. She was waking up, crying, every 45 minutes (and would stop immediately if I picked her up - she's no fool). It was midnight and that was the night Gracie moved out of that bedroom and into our closet. Before you start going all DCFS on me, please know our closet measures 8x10, has a window, and is attached to our bathroom. The kid essentially had her own suite and, after 2 rough nights, became my best sleeper.

Gracie stayed in our closet for about 11 months and loved it. When it was bedtime, she would practically run through our bedroom and stand/hang on the pack-n-play so she could go to bed. There comes a time, though, when we knew she needed to move back in with the general population and that was about three weeks ago. My fear that my sleep champion would have a difficult time was unfounded - the kid transitioned perfectly and is still the last one awake (most of the time). Not sure what I would have done without that closet. Probably would have given up our bedroom and slept on the couch...

Gracie's Suite:




The Gang. Shenanigans to start soon...

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Good, now I will not freak out when I can't find Gracie..

fooz said...

Gracie's suite looks so lonely......but I am happy that the trips are together! Now, if I can teach Johnny to sleep in..........