Wednesday, November 12, 2008

AC Is A Classic 4-year-old

I took the kids to Target yesterday. Oh, how I heart Target - wide aisles so the cart monkeys (someone else's term, not mine) can't tear things off the shelves, nice and bright, rational lay-out. Everything is in order, just how I like it.

Well, we were loading up outside and AC was in the big part of the cart as I put two others in their stroller. All of a sudden, she yells and points "Mom! Look at that guy!". I turn around to see a mid-20's man, , 6 feet from us so you know he heard, dressed in a black skeleton t-shirt, lots of piercings, etc. (but as clean-cut as he could be for the stereotype you may be imagining...he looked nice-ish). Fortunately he was laughing and I started laughing, too. "Yeah, look at that guy!" was my response. I mean, what was I going to say? I'm just thankful he was a good sport and I'm still laughing about it. Hmm...probably need to expose her more to people outside our mostly homogeneous bubble.

This is not uncommon for her. She has a special fascination with bald people "Where's his/her hair?" (not quietly, of course). I have an acquaintance who is divorced which has her flummoxed "why doesn't your husband mow the lawn?". The list goes on.

She doesn't get fazed by wheelchairs, though, and I think it's because my dad is in one. It's normal for her to ride around with him and she doesn't seem to notice if she sees another.

I'm actually thankful she isn't quiet about these things or isn't a starer and I never try to hush her up because they are normal questions for a child. She needs to learn that there are normal answers for these normal people. That everyone just looks different and that's how God made us. When she starts doing the "why, why, why", she always accepts the position that the world would be less interesting if everyone looked the same, and we should be excited about it.

2 comments:

BKicklighter said...

We were in the mall on Monday and passed a lady in a wheelchair. Lily said, "She's in her wheelchair, mom. Such a blessing to have a special chair." The lady about broke her back trying to get a look at who said THAT. So glad I answered that question she asked weeks ago the way I did.

Oh, by the way, I like you.

Kitty said...

You are hilarious.